A plaque in honour of Lilo Milchsack the founder of the society is unveiled at the Carsch-Haus in Dusseldorf. It is here, in the former English cultural centre “die Brücker“ (the bridge), where the society held its events and lectures until the 1970s.
26.4.1999: The official ceremony took place in the Berlin Cathedral
27.4.1999: The opening of the exhibition “Views of Germany” from the Royal Collection in Windsor castle in the Glienicke Palace. Among the guests, the event was attended by the Duke of Kent.
The German-English Society’s regional Group in Berlin celebrated its 40th anniversary. The chamber orchestra from the Berlin University of the Arts (formerly the Hochschule der Künste Berlin) performed at the celebration and was conducted by former Prime Minister Sir Edward Heath.
In the 1990s, as part of the “Jugendbrücke” (Youth Bridge) project, the German-English Society together with the British-German Association (BGA), organised annual exchanges between British and East German high school pupils, who stayed with local families.
Since 1975, the annual “Königswinter Conference” alternates between Great Britain (Oxford/Cambridge) and Germany. Following the 1974 conference held in Edinburgh, the “Königswinter Conference” has become a trademark.
The first Berlin “German-English Youth Conference” (today the Young Königswinter Conference) took place in Berlin under the leadership of the German-British Youth Exchange (der Deutsch-Britische Jugendaustausch).
On the initiative of Lilo Milchsack and six other Dusseldorf citizens, the German-English Society was established in Wittlaer (near Dusseldorf). They were supported by Sir Robert Birley who was then the Education Adviser to the British Military Government of Germany.
On 19th April 1949, the German-English Society was formally registered in the associations register at the Dusseldorf District Court.